Saturday, February 11, 2012

First Two Computer Classes

I was hesitant when Peggy asked if I would start a computer class here at the center as we just received twelve "new" computers.  I told her that I could but that my current knowledge of computers is very limited.  She told me not to worry.

Twelve students (ages 14 - 50) arrived the first day sharing that they had never touched a computer.  After learning to turn them on, we began practicing using the mouse.  A few were quite surprised when they figured out they were controlling the moving cursor on the monitor.  The expressions on their faces were like that of children at a magic show. 

The double-click is quite a challenge as they are pressing the clicker too hard to complete two clicks quickly.  By the time they finish pushing the button, the cursor moves off the icon and the second click is elsewhere.  In this way, two single clicks doesn't equal a double-click.  Last class we stood up and practiced saying and motioning "click-click" quickly in hopes that they could begin merely touching the button twice in the allotted time period and perfecting the double-click.

Our next battle is typing using the home row.

Peggy was right,  I have content knowledge to teach this class for at least a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment