Friday, February 10, 2012

First Yoga Class with Women in El Sitio

Wednesday, I hopped in the back of a pickup as the sun was rising.  When I arrived at the lake, I climbed into the a boat to cross to the far-off bank of El Sitio.  This is one of the communities in Suchitoto.  I hiked up the dirt path that weaves through homes and arrived at Mercedes' house, where I spent Christmas.  She guided me to the highest point in the community, the Clinic.  I climbed the hill via her yard.
Looking back at our boat from the path.

El Sitio's Clinic/Yoga Studio

The Clinic's Bathroom.  Good aim is needed but privacy isn't...


The clinic is a vacant, four-room facility with a wide, tile, outdoor hallway.  It is the only building in the community with a level floor, beside the chapel and school.  I borrowed a broom and mop from Mercedes and transformed the dusty hallway into a yoga studio with a view of the lake and surrounding mountains.  At 8:30am, class was supposed to begin, but no one was there.  I rushed down the hill to ask Mercedes where the main entrance to the Clinic was, thinking there had to be a main pathway.  She proved me wrong.

I stood in the "yoga studio" a bit bummed for a few minutes, then I heard rustling in the bushes.  A little, old woman appeared in her faded skirt and apron.  We chatted for a bit, then a woman missing most her teeth appeared from another patch of brush.  We greeted each other, then I heard a loud speaker announcing the yoga class.  More and more women appeared from all directions.  It reminded me of the movie Field of Dreams.

Waiting...



Throughout the class we laughed at ourselves and with each other.  It was a unique grace-filled space.  There was something extremely special about the inter-generational group of women moving our bodies in new ways and meditating together.  I also cherish the conversations we shared before and after class.

Part of our group...
Also, thanks to Damian Cohen and Patrick Tornes (Priory Student) for donating money to buy mats for each of the women!  Thanks to John Guiliano (Tamarindo Foundation) for sharing his Salvadorian athletic connections and providing transportation for the purchase.



No comments:

Post a Comment