Thursday, November 17, 2011

El Citio


The power is out and the lightning storm is pouring rain on our tin roof.  This is one of my favorite sounds, so peaceful.   Unfortunately, it’s not so for the people in the campo.  Many communities lost their homes, crops, and livestock a few weeks ago in the rainstorm.  Tonight’s storm is routine and it will pass.

Anyway, today I rode in the back of a pickup to catch a tippy boat, to walk through chicken yards and up a muddy hill to arrive at a school in “El Citio.”  This is one of the communities outside Suchitoto.  About seventy families live in the community (big for the local communities).  They are lucky because they are one of the few with a school.  I knew that I missed the school setting but today was a solid reminder.  I miss the fun-loving energy and genuine conversations.  Today was their last day of school.  The kids left after class.  About ten minutes later, one of the students walked by the schoolyard herding cows down the main muddy path.  I then looked around and saw many students working among the corn and sugarcane in their yards.  On my way back to Suchitoto with the teachers, they said they need an English teacher.  I think I could fill in when they begin again in January.  Sister Peggy also asked if I could teach a womens yoga class out there.  I’d love to!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing your travels with us. i was driving to school today after the junior retreat to the tenderloin and i was thinking of you. i miss your loving spirit and your hugs. you are a light to the world. xo

    ReplyDelete