Monday, November 7, 2011

Listening Levels


The Salvadorians that I’ve met know how to prioritize.  Even if they have jobs to complete, they are never too busy for conversation and to assist each other.  It seems that interpersonal relationships are the highest priority.  They listen deeply.  When I accompanied students to the International Benedictine Youth Congress in Australia, our theme was Dadirri, an Aboriginal word for ‘Deep Listening.’   It’s an important quality valued across all cultures.

I can’t wait to communicate with people here more extensively.  Their stories about family, war, hardships, and blessings are both profound and inspiring.  At this point, I’m listening to words but mostly internalizing body language.  My conversational awareness is surprisingly intense as my limited verbal comprehension highlights emotional comprehension.  As a result, my intuition and emotional intelligence are soaring.   This is an unexpected blessing.  I hope that when my language skills improve, I can remember this deeper level of listening.

On another note, Sister Peggy left for a fundraising trip in Boston.  I’m staying in her house with Xumara, a high school student who is from the campo but lives with Peggy during the week.  She and I are having a blast confusing Spanish/English while cooking and eating together.  I started Spanish lessons so we are both studying in the evenings.   My Spanish is progressing but I’m dancing around and swinging my arms more than ever.  We may not communicate in words well yet but our tummies are sore with laughter!

1 comment:

  1. Molly, I love it. I'm still stuck here in digital land where listening can be so much more truncated and detached. Thanks for the reminder to listen more fully. Glad to hear that the Spanish is progressing, and please keep posting these wonderful updates. It's great to hear that you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete